Antigua & Barbuda CitizenshipIndividual Investor Programme (IIP)
Citizenship can be acquired by investors through investments into the three areas:
Antigua and Barbuda possesses highly desirable real estate locations and the applicant who proceeds with the real estate investment option for citizenship is forbidden from disposing or selling such property for the initial five years after obtaining citizenship. The only exception to such a rule is if the applicant purchases another property that satisfies the Citizenship by Investment criteria.
The application process will take approximately three months after which a decision can be rendered by the relevant authority - approved; denied; or delayed for cause and is still being processed. Every successful applicant must attend a ceremony to take an oath or affirmation of allegiance in Antigua and Barbuda. The applicant will have a minimum obligation to reside at least 5 days in Antigua and Barbuda during the period of five years after they obtain Antiguan nationality. Otherwise they will not be eligible to renew their passport.
The Citizenship by Investment Program (CIP) was established following parliamentary assent to the Antigua and Barbuda Citizenship by Investment Regulations 2014. The Regulations regarding Citizenship by Investment in Antigua and Barbuda are contained in Section 6 of the Citizenship by Investment Act, 2014. These provisions allow the government to operate a program under which citizenship is granted to persons who qualify under criteria set by parliamentary decision.
The Citizenship by Investment Program (CIP) requires a person to make a significant economic contribution to the Country. In exchange, and subject to stringent application procedures, including thorough background checks, the applicants and their families are granted citizenship. To qualify for citizenship, the primary applicant must be over 18 years of age, meet the application requirements and select one of the following three investment options:
- A contribution to the National Development Fund (NDF) of a minimum non-refundable amount of US$200,000. **
- An investment of at least US$400,000 into one of the approved real estate projects and to be held for a minimum period of 5 years.
- An investment of a minimum of US$1,500,000 directly into an eligible business as a sole investor or a joint investment involving at least 2 persons in an eligible business totalling at least US$5,000,000 and each of those persons individually invests at least US$400,000.
All three investment options are subject to government processing and due diligence fees.
Ineligible applicants are as follows:
- Where an applicant has provided false information on his or her application;
- Where a medical practitioner states that any of the family members is suffering from a contagious disease and/or serious health problems;
- Not having received a free pardon, has at any time previously been convicted in any country of an offence for which the maximum custodial penalty is in excess of six months imprisonment;
- Is the subject of a criminal investigation?
- Is a potential national security risk to Antigua and Barbuda or to any other country?
- Is involved in any activity likely to cause disrepute to Antigua and Barbuda;
- Has been denied a visa to a country with which Antigua and Barbuda has visa-free travel and who has not subsequently obtained a visa to the country that issued the denial.
Deprivation of citizenship may occur if the citizen does not spend at least 5 days in Antigua and Barbuda during the period of five calendar years after having obtained citizenship and they will not be entitled to repayment of any investment, contribution or purchase price made by them in their original application for citizenship.
Deprivation of citizenship will occur where such registration as a citizen was obtained by false representation or fraud or wilful concealment of material facts or the person has been convicted in Antigua and Barbuda of an act of treason or sedition.
Visa Free travel: Antigua and Barbuda has a visa free entry into 118 countries including the European Union Schengen member States for stays of up to 90 days without a visa. In addition, they can also travel to the countries such as the United Kingdom, Canada and others visa-free: